Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Writers who Write about Writing

As of late, I have been spending more time writing "things."

My wife and I recently took over an art gallery and I have been spending a lot of time at the gallery. This means I get to enjoy periods of quiet reflection mixed in with periods of frenetic activity. It also means I get to spend far more time "in public," which means getting flashes of unexpected inspiration from the people who visit.

Last time I had a gallery/shop (1990's) I also wrote a lot. Not sure what it is about this type of setting that makes things "move." I'll have to get back to you on that.

I have read a lot of opinions about "writers who write about writing" and much of it is not particularly complimentary. Not complimentary, in the sense of critics saying it shows a lack of creativity... and is (by extension) an example of the old saying "Those who can, DO; those who can't, TEACH." Maybe there are elements of truth there... haven't decided yet.

For me, it's more a case that writing words like these helps me "warm up" to writing something more creative.

No comments: