Saturday, September 13, 2014

More on the Squidoo to HubPages Transition

I am feeling a bit stuck.

I keep going back to have a look at my "new" HubPages account, which holds my articles that formerly were over at soon-to-be-defunct Squidoo. I am watching them slowly starting to get more page views, and I am watching their "Hub Scores" slowly improve. A few days ago, I actually got my first Amazon sales since the switch, and that was kind of exciting.

I also know they are in very "rough format" at the moment, and I will have to go through all of them and substantially rewrite them all, in order for them to not only look good, but to comply with HubPages formatting policies. Because the Squidoo format really didn't translate all that well. But hey, I'm grateful... at least I still have some articles.

There is a LOT of "busy work" associated with writing online, and I find it frustrating. Part of that is my nature... I have never been all that much of a "go-getter." I want to do things, stick them out there, and then "be done" with it all. Period. I was never very good at (or comfortable with) the whole self-promotion thing.

This has led me to consider the whole issue that bugs me about this "industry," namely that SO much writing feels like not "writing" but thinly veiled "sales pitches." My insight being that it may be that the majority of people doing this "gig" are not really "writers," but "sales people" who happen to write a little.

It makes me ponder whether this is a shark tank I even want to swim in... but for now, I shall continue.

No comments: