Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Writing Life: Detachment, Isolation and Involvement

As a writer-- and especially one who primarily writes through channels on the Internet-- it is easy to become detached from the "real" world. I friend recently remarked that she was feeling increasingly "lost" when she had to go "out in the world," in connection with her job. Indeed, it can be one of the major challenges of web-based entrepreneurs (herunder: Writers) to manage the sense of isolation that sometimes accompanies work that puts us in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day.

For at least a couple of years, I have increasingly been working on "staying involved" in outside life. I think what may be important to those who work at home (and especially sensitive introverts-- I am an "HSP"), is not so much to make an effort to "get out," but to be very selective in terms of how and where we get out.

For example, much of my writing is on topics relating to the self-improvement and metaphysics fields. I may not have the bandwidth to necessarily go and join some local random softball league, but I do have the bandwidth to be a participant in activities that relate directly to the people and events I read about.

Don't get me wrong. I am an introvert, and I do enjoy the writing life. However, there are also times when I just feel like I need to "get out more."

No comments: